At least 59 Palestinians were killed and over 220 wounded on Tuesday after Israeli tanks fired near a crowd gathered around an aid convoy in Khan Younis, southern Gaza, according to Palestinian medical sources. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) acknowledged firing in the area and announced an internal review of the incident.
Eyewitnesses reported that large numbers of civilians had gathered on the eastern road of Khan Younis in anticipation of aid distribution when the shelling occurred. Several witnesses said that tank shells landed near the crowd after they had moved forward toward the aid trucks.
One eyewitness, identified as Alaa, speaking from Nasser Hospital, described the scene: “They let us move forward, and then shells started falling.” Many of the wounded were transported to hospitals using private vehicles, rickshaws, and donkey carts due to the overwhelmed medical infrastructure.
Palestinian medical authorities reported at least 20 of the injured were in critical condition. This marks one of the deadliest days since aid deliveries resumed in May.
In a statement, the Israeli military said:
“Earlier today, a gathering was identified adjacent to an aid distribution truck that got stuck in the area of Khan Younis, and in proximity to IDF troops operating in the area. The IDF is aware of reports regarding a number of injured individuals from IDF fire following the crowd’s approach. The details of the incident are under review. The IDF regrets any harm to uninvolved individuals and operates to minimise harm while maintaining the safety of our troops.”
In addition to the Khan Younis casualties, medical officials reported at least 14 more fatalities across Gaza on Tuesday due to separate incidents involving Israeli gunfire and airstrikes, bringing the day’s total to at least 73.
Since late May, the Gaza Health Ministry estimates that 397 Palestinians have been killed and over 3,000 injured while attempting to access food aid.
The incident occurred near a site operated by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), according to the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF)—a U.S.- and Israeli-backed aid initiative operating separate distribution points. GHF clarified in a statement that the event did not take place at one of its own distribution locations.
The United Nations has previously criticized the GHF system, calling it insufficient and non-neutral. Israel maintains the system is necessary to prevent diversion of aid by Hamas, a claim Hamas denies. Gaza authorities have reported numerous casualties at or near GHF-linked sites over the past weeks.
Since the beginning of the conflict in October 2023—triggered by a Hamas-led attack that resulted in 1,200 Israeli deaths and the taking of 251 hostages—Israel’s military campaign in Gaza has led to approximately 55,000 Palestinian deaths, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. The offensive has also displaced nearly all of Gaza’s 2.3 million residents and caused widespread food insecurity.
The latest violence in Gaza comes amid heightened regional tension following direct military exchanges between Israel and Iran. Iranian missile attacks on Israeli territory have drawn global attention, with some Gaza residents sharing images of the damage, expressing a sense of solidarity and reflection amid ongoing hardship.


